I am on a mission to inspire and support people to be healthy and enjoy loving relationships. I focus on good habits. Good exercise habits are critical to your wellness. Nutrition and recovery habits are key to looking and feeling your best.
I know that simple exercise habits and routines have a profound impact on people’s lives. I have been working as a personal trainer since 2011.
What you eat impacts how you look, feel, and perform. It is essential to have a plan for how you organize meals and support your wellness with food.
- Kinesiologist- BC Association of Kinesiologist– Practicing Member
- Bachelors Degree- Human Kinetics- UBC
- Kinesio Taping Level 1 and 2
- CPR and First Aid
- CSEP- Certified Personal Trainer (Active 2010-2017) CSEP
About My Work
I am here to help people improve their fitness, health and level of function. It is amazing what regular exercise and feeling capable does to your life. In my work, I typically focus on four things:
- Exercise- getting into a routine that fits your life and goals. This can be simple exercises, custom rehabilitation programs or a combination.
- Nutrition- Food and nutrition have a massive impact on your health and quality of life.
- Recovery- Did you know that exercise makes you weaker? You only get stronger if you recover from the exercises you do. Sleep, and several other strategies accelerate your recovery so you don’t feel drained by exercise.
- Mindset- Do you focus on goals? Maybe healthy habits? Do you feel mentally strong and ready to take on challenges? There are mental strategies that you can practice to serve you in feeling powerful and accomplishing your goals.
Recently, I have been captivated by the concept of health-span (how long you live and feel well and able). My experience as a personal trainer has shown me some interesting things. Many older people are healthier than their younger counterparts. The old-school definition of aging is wrong. It is a fair expectation to stay strong and vibrantly healthy as an older adult.
Persistent Pain or Chronic Pain
I have done continuing education related to exercise therapy and persistent pain. I find working with clients who have complex pain or chronic conditions to be very rewarding. I also find peoples experience of illness and pain to be very interesting. Do you ever wonder why a paper-cut hurts so much despite the minimal tissue damage? Have you ever had a similar scratch that you don’t know when it showed up?
I started working as a personal trainer in 2011. I feel so fortunate to have worked with some tremendous people in this time. I learned more in my first 4 years as a self employed personal trainer than doing a 4 year degree. Well, maybe not more information, but definitely more useful knowledge. I opened a fitness and rehabilitation studio, Positive Shift, in North Burnaby in 2015.
I worked tremendously hard to live a good life in the Vancouver area. I was born in East Vancouver and it was hard to move farther out of the city to a neighbourhood that was more affordable.
Then, my family and I visited Mayne Island. Well, one thing led to another and we moved here and built a house. I absolutely love it here. Mostly, I feel this is the best place for my kids. So, now I am offering services on Mayne Island. I feel fortunate to be able to spend so much time with my young kids and also, so much time outside.